Chatroulette

| |
Chatroulette.  Is there any simpler premise for guaranteed fun?

In my day, when all this were fields, we'd hang out or sleep over at a mate's house and insult random peons from other countries via IRC.  But this is 2010, and we live in the broadband generation, where images of your naked genitals can be instantly beamed around the world into the eyes (and unfortunately memories) of innocent chatters!

Chatroulette - for the uninformed - is a site which simply connects you (your webcam/microphone/computer) to somebody else (and their webcam/microphone/computer) from anywhere in the world at random. Once connected, you can talk, wave, type, discuss life and so on. It seems like a great idea in principle. Alas, it seems the only spanner in the works are us - human beings. The exact same people that used to insult randoms on IRC chatrooms are grown up and still insulting people via videochat, only now they've got their wangs out. You're able to withhold video/audio data if you should so choose, but most allow full coverage, which means that a quick skip through the lines of people eager to chat reads like a game of 'Duck, Duck, Goose'. Except, instead of a duck, it's a man's penis.  And instead of a duck, it's a man's penis.  And instead of a goose, it's a pedophile.  I should say now - this site is definitely not for the faint of heart.  Society as a whole can be a pretty freaky-ass place, but I like to think the breakdown of the site is quite similar to a pool of humanity in the 'real world' - 20% weirdos, 75% people making fun of the weirdos, 4% nice human beings and 1% beautiful women.  I was lucky enough to chat to one of the 1% tonight, but more on that later....

The site seems fairly unpoliced; you don't have to register; you don't need to provide any details.  There's no sign in, no logging of your personal data of any kind, so it seems.  I'm not one to quash freedom of speech, especially not on the internet, but to have such weird and offensive content accessible in the same place as innocent wholesome content is a veritable legal landmine.  Suffice it to say, I wouldn't let my kids go near the site - if I had any - until I had at least had a chance to talk to them - and I have NO idea how that conversation would go.....

"Billy....now you're gonna see some things.....terrible things......but if you're really brave and reeeeaaally lucky, you might just make a friend!"

It's really not worth the risk.

There are, however, a few good souls online.  I was one, and she - let's call her 'Sonic Youth Fan' - was another.  She was from New York, so naturally I struck up a conversation about my love of all things American.  Read the full, uncensored, unedited conversation after the jump.....




> Connected, feel free to talk now
Her: I know you
Her: why are you laughing?
Me: the world is full of interesting human beings
Her: like who?
Me: the kind of people who wouldnt even be allowed on the Jeremy Kyle show....
Her: lol
Her: well what'd you see ?
Me: what didnt I see?!
Her: haha
Her: well what's the funniest thing you've seen
Me: I was a reasonably innocent young man before tonight
Me: ummmmmmmm
Her: lmao.
Me: too......many.........peni./...............
Her: lol
Her: feeling a little gay haha
Me: must........think of..............boobs.......................
Her: yeah I've seen a lot of people actually having sex on here
Me: ewwww
Her: yeah
Me: having a good night?
Her: and there are so many damn old people
Me: what like....OLD old?
Her: no! ugh. It's 7:20 here and I'm not going out till 9
Her: so I'm bored.
Her: and I haven't been out all day
Me: haha man I remember those days.....
Me: my plan was - get home from work - nap - re-energise - go out.
Her: like, 65 old.
Me: I achieved the nap........
Her: yeah haha
Me: now I'm thinking I will probably try the nap again....
Her: whenever I nap I nap for way too long though.
Me: yeah, me too.
Me: Where are you?
Her: NY
Her: you/
Me: ah cool.
Me: UK.  Wales to be precise.
Her: mhm
Her: you look british
Me: lol what gave me away?
Her: I don't know, I work with internationals in the summer
Her: so I can tell the difference.
Her: not as much between wales and england though.
Me: yeah, I can always spot euro students in town.
Me: no, true. only a couple of miles.
Her: yeah
Me: I'm coming to NY soon!
Her: =] cool
Her: it's awesome here
Her: I never want to move.
Me: well, it was gonna be May but now Ithink it'll be pushed back til after the summer...
Me: yeah, Iwouldn't either!
Her: oh, that sucks.
Me: one of my friends from England (Oxford) is putting on a festival in upstate NY in May....
Her: my friend loved new york so much that he's going to speed through his masters disertation and come here this summer
Her: even though it's more of an inconvienance for him lol
Me: haha cool.
Her: a festival? like a whole music festival?
Me: yeah!It's called 'Truck'
Me: well this one's called 'Truck America'
Her: hmm I was invited to a three days upstate festival over the summer
Me: you should check it out, they've got some cool bands playing.
Her: I wonder if it's the same thing
Me: oh right? maybe!
Her: I heard there were going to be alot of drugs lol
Me: haha always are at these things.
Her: lol yeah
Me: not really my scene! love the music!
Me: and the sun.
Her: Yeah I love music
Me: (http://www.thisistruck.com/ is the url if you wanna check it out...)
Her: I've never been to a festival though I've always wanted to.
Her: I'll definitely check it out =]
Me: yeah, well I've only been to this one in the UK (Truck)
Me: even tho Ilove live music, I dont really fancy roughing it in the mud for 3 days!
Her: A lot of the festivals I want to go to aren't in new york and I don't have the money to road trip lol.
Me: yeah
Her: what are your favorite bands?
Me: I'd love to come to a few of the big US festivals; I always see SXSW and Coachella and they look killer.
Her: I'm not one to get dirty either hahaha, but it could be fun.
Her: YES
Her: I always wanted to go to choachella
Me: dunno who's playing this year tho....
Her: coachella*
Her: I haven't checked yet
Me: your homeboys the Strokes are playing over here!!
Her: They always have good stuff
Her: Haha I like the strokes
Me: yeah.
Her: not as much their last album though
Her: I still bought it
Me: yeah - debut stil the best.
Her: Mhm
Me: they ate it up over here in the UK.
Me: music magazines still cite them as 'saving rock &roll' lol
Her: Yeah
Her: haha
Her: I think
Her: queens of the stoneage
Her: saved rock n roll
Me: yeah!!
Me: desert rock!!
Her: haha
Me: I'm going to see Them Crooked Vultures in London next month!!!
Her: and idk if you agree but I feel jack white is one of the only real 'rock and rollers" left as well.
Her: nice.
Her: I just saw the pixies not too long ago ^^
Me: Royal Albert Hall; it's like this big teenage cancer charity thing.
Her: a lot of people want to kill me for that
Me: ah cool! haha yeah Iheard they were touring again...
Her: mhm they were amazing.
Me: The new documentary film on the Stripes looks amazing
Me: have you seen the trailers?
Her: I didn't even know of it!
Her: noo
Me: I forget what it's called
Me: something to do with Canada?
Her: I'll google it and find out
Her: whatever it is, or wherever it is I'm sure it's good.
Me: Thats it, Under Great Northern Lights or something
Her: I don't like a lot of new music. I listen to mostly bands that started out before 2000
Me: my sister does an amazing Meg impression on my drums :-D
Her: that's cool lol
Her: how old are you by the way?
Me: yeah, I like a lot of older bands too.
Me: I'm 25. you?
Her: 18
Me: ah, so young!
Her: Yeah
Me: wish Iwas 18 again!
Her: yeah
Her: I'm on the younger end as well
Her: I'm still a senior... which is like...
Her: well you probably know.
Her: here we go straight from high school to uni.
Me: ah right!
Me: I was just thinking about this the other day actually.....
Me: so how many years are in high school?
Her: I think your system is smarter.
Her: 12
Her: so I'm in year 12.
Me: right, last year of HS....?
Her: mhm
Me: yeah ours stops at 11 but then we have 2 more optional years where you can go on to study more specific subjects (you proably know all this....)
Her: I like british systems better because they graduate at like... 16 right? and then go on to what they want to do and then go to uni after that
Her: mhm
Her: lol
Her: we don't have that two year thing and just jump right into uni.
Me: my best mate from back home in England was originally from New Mexico, and he moved here when he was in Y11, so it totally messed up his learning!
Me: yeah thats right
Her: I couldn't even imagine.
Me: Yeah
Her: you guys also take gap years xD
Her: we don't
Her: go usually go straight through >.<
Me: so when I see all these American teen movies of kids acting like idiots on 'spring break' etc, that's coz they're only 18 or whatever....?
Her: in uni I mean
Me: yeah!
Her: Yeah.
Me: ah cool.
Her: yeah we never take breaks really, haha.
Me: you guys get a mazzive summer holiday tho, don't you?
Her: also in america, colleges aren't any lesser than universities.
Me: like 3 months or something?
Her: yeah
Her: we do.
Me: haha, lucky!
Me: we get 6 weeks....
Her: june till the end of august.
Me: but then, there's not really that much sun here to enjoy!!
Her: well june 26th
Her: awe yeah.
Her: well it's very snowy here at the moment haha
Me: haha, here too!
Her: lol
Me: whatdya know.
Her: what's your major?
Her: My friend goes to the university of liverpool
Me: Ummm...well we dont really have majors/minors, we just study one thing.....
Her: he's getting his masters in geographical studies x_x
Me: wow!
Her: I don't get it
Her: what you do with that
Me: exactly!
Me: My sister studied something called 'environmental geoscience' - I have no idea what that is....
Me: I did music.
Her: he tried explaining it but I still don't get why he's going for it. he sound like "town planning" x_x
Her: haha I'm going to go for art history.
Me: ah cool!
Me: you might get some cool field trips then?
Her: yeah haha
Me: visit the Louvre or something!
Her: I'd love to
Her: intern in france
Me: Me too.
Her: I love france ^^
Me: I went to EuroDisney once - it was FREAKINGAWESOME!
Her: haha
Her: I went to "disney world"
Her: it's in florida
Her: it was fun.
Me: oh yeah.
Me: man, I've only been to the States once but Iabsolutely loved it.
Me: can't wait to come back!
Her: I've never been across the water
Me: I'm really interested in the culture/history.
Her: only canada and the bahamas
Her: I always wanted to go to london, obviously paris, maybe tokyo.
Me: the bahamas is across water!!
Her: well kind of... it'
Her: I meant like... west of me haha
Her: or east
Me: haha yeah I'd LOVE to go Tokyo.  I'm a bit of a video game geek so I wanna go search out some vintage consoles in Akihabara!
Her: haha
Her: I saw a documentary about tokyo and some of the hotels had like cubbies as sleeping areas
Me: yeah, I dropped out of Uni after three years
Me: but if Iever go back, think Imight study UShistory
Me: and maybe film or something?!
Her: US history?
Me: oh yeah!I've seen those, like little sleeping pods!
Her: I love film. I considered majoring in film, but I'd rather be an art curator.
Her: yeah! they're so cool. Plus I'm a sushi fanatic
Me: I'd rather be one of those old guards that sits in the chair at the corner of the gallery and sleeps.
Her: hahaha
Me: Thats the life for me.
Her: maybe for retired people =P
Me: yeah, maybe.
Her: I'm sure the pay isn't great
Me: I'll bet they party it up at night tho!
Her: lolol
Me: sleep thru their job
Me: then at night - rager!!
Her: they just made that shitty movie "night at the muesuem"
Me: Hahah I actually loved that movie!!
Her: all the stuff came to life
Her: hahahaha
Her: I didn't see it. It looked too silly for me
Me: And I'll only admit that because I'll probably never meet you!
Her: nice.
Me: It was geniune family fun.
Her: Hmmm what's a movie I can admit to liking...
Me: haha this is like therapy!
Her: man idk!
Me: I also love the Taylor Swift song where she goes on about Romeo &Juliet
Her: the movie drop dead fred keeps coming to mind
Her: lol
Her: but I'm not embarassed to like tha
Her: that*
Me: hahaha with Rik Mayall!!
Her: mhm
Me: thats a great movie
Her: They're remaking it D:
Me: havent seen that in ages.
Me: no way?!
Her: with russel brand
Me: lol amazing
Her: I wanted to like... break faces
Her: no.
Her: that'
Her: is terrible!
Me: I cant believe they're remaking Bill &Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Me: that makes me want to break stuff.
Her: nO
Her: noooo
Her: don't tell me that!
Me: don't you just wish you were dead?!
Me: and apparently Short Circuit too!!!
Her: NO!!!
Me: with my alltime hearthrob actress Ally Sheedy!!
Her: I own both bill and teds
Her: and short circuit
Her: on vhs
Me: haha me too!!
Her: johnny 5 alive!!
Her: nooo
Me: (recorded from the TV....)
Her: how do you remake that?
Her: the first bill and ted is recorded hahaha
Me: haha with a lot of crappy CGI I suppose...
Her: nooo =(
Me: hmmmm yeah, well I'm sorry to have been the bearer of bad news....
Her: I totally grew up loving that movie.
Me: yeah, me too
Her: I hate keanu reeves but I love bill and ted
Me: haha
Me: whatever happened to Alex Winter??
Her: I dont know
Her: I think I've asked that question before
Her: hahaha
Me: Maybe we should start one of these internet rumours that he died
Her: He probably does lifetime movies
Her: People would believe it.
Me: when Iwas in school this rumour went around that Zach Morris from Saved By The Bell had died
Her: someone tried to start a rumor that the main characters of boy meets world died.
Me: it took off like wildfire!
Her: lol
Me: what, ALLof them?
Her: noo
Her: just the main guy
Me: ah right
Me: so that would mean....
Me: .....that Topanga chick was single? ;-)
Her: hahaha
Me: that'd be good news.
Me: Man, I worry what happens to all these kids after the cameras leave......
Her: hahaha
Her: they sit in a pot circle
Me: haha talking about old times
Her: haha
Her: have you ever seen the mighty boosh?
Me: yes!!
Me: LOVE THE BOOSH!!
Her: are they making new episodes?
Me: Maybe.....one day!!
Me: Man, Ican't believe the Boosh has made it stateside!!
Her: I'd hope. They stopped showing it here last year
Her: yes!
Me: Did you guys ever get 'Spaced'?
Her: on this channel called adult swim.
Her: I don't think so.
Me: my alltime favourite British comedy
Me: from the guys that went on to make 'Shaun Of The Dead'
Her: If you like boosh, I'm sure I'd like spaced so I'll check it out
Her: oh! that sounds good then.
Me: you should try and find it, it's well worth it.
Me: yeah I think we have Adult Swim
Her: summer heights high from australia also made it here
Me: HAHAH that is also genius viewing.
Her: yeah adult swim plays boosh, and I loved every minute of it.
Her: Yeah it's funny
Me: How about 'Alan Partridge'?
Her: I hate britians "The office" though ...
Me: It's very British humour...not sure if would work there.....
Her: sounds familiar
Me: yeah, well see, the standard story is that Brits love our Office and hate the USremake
Me: and vice versa
Her: Did you ever see "look around you?" that shows fucking hilarious... it's like every science kid show cheapy broadcast from the 90s
Her: ...made fun of.
Me: but Iactually LOVEthe US remake!  Almost as much as the original!
Me: HAHAHAHA hold on....
Her: god I love that show haha
Me: Lol I quoted that today in work
Her: I'm kind of nerdy so I find it hilarious
Me: 'Thanks ants - THANTS.
Her: yes hahahaha
Me: sigh.
Me: hilarity.
Me: did you see the second series?
Her: it's only one REALLY late though so I had to show it via internet to my friends.
Her: I saw like...
Her: 20 something episodes
Her: in random order
Her: via internet
Her: so probably
Me: hahah
Me: did you see this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwyuB8QKzBI
Her: LOL
Me: I'll give you a minute to watch...
Her: yeah
Me: BEST. SONG. EVER.
Me: Hahah well it's good to know there's some great comedy making its way over.
Her: yeah
Her: adult swim seems to be an advocate for silly british humor.
Her: and hbo is the one showing summer high
Me: and if you like Look Around You you should definitely check out the Peter Serafinowicz Show (if you don't already)
Me: ah cool
Her: I will haha
Me: HBO show a lot of my fave shows, like Curb
Me: love that show!
Her: I watch true blood
Her: and there's this show hung
Me: oh is that the vampire one?
Her: about a male jigalo
Her: yeah
Me: haha interesting premise
Her: I hate twilight shit though >.>
Her: but I find trueblood interesting.
Me: hahah me too.
Me: ah cool, might check it out.
Me: I pretty much devour US TV.
Her: haha
Me: hardly watch anything on our actual TV!
Her: lol
Her: I stopped watching tv on the actualy television awhile ago for the most part
Me: yeah
Her: I use hulu.com a lot and websites
Me: ah yeah, we cant access hulu in this countru
Her: I think when I move out I might not even pay for cable.
Me: (at least not for any of the good stuff....)
Her: really? why?
Me: some sort of regional lock?
Her: weird
Me: sucks ass.
Her: I guess because it takes away from the ratings
Me: but there's always bit torrent!
Me: yeah probably.
Her: like, I watch new episodes of house weekly on hulu... but then it's not being watched on cable
Her: so I guess that's a problem.
Me: yeah they always talk about ads not being shown etc....
Her: well they do show ads, but it's one per 15min instead of like, 5.
Me: but people just skip the ads anyway, right? if they've recorded it onto their tivo or whatever....
Her: advertisitng never affected me anyway haha
Me: thats better.
Me: haha yeah, me neither.
Her: you can't skip them on hulu
Me: ah right.
Her: but on other sites
Her: yeah
Her: lol
Me: COKE!
Me: PEPSI!
Her: man I'm so gay that I drink v8
Her: and green tea
Me: V8....
Me: triggering.......supressed...........memories................
Her: why?
Me: thats that godawful vegetable stuff, right?
Her: mhm
Me: like a garbage bag smoothie?
Her: I like tomatoe juice so it's basically the same thing
Her: well I don't think so xD
Her: I'll live longer than you hah! lol
Me: haha, cant stand tomatoes.....
Me: damn!!
Her: Well that would make sense
Her: since it's basically tomatoe juice
Her: lol I'm not crazy though. I do drink soda lol
Me: apple juice is my weakness.
Her: I hate apple juice hahaha
Her: but I like grape juice
Me: haha well there ya go.
Me: I dont drink any tea or coffee, or much alcohol, but the stuff Ido drink is probably much worse!
Me: like Red Bull. and blue Powerade!!
Her: I don't drink too much alcohol either
Her: ugh
Her: ever since I got a car
Her: I've been designated driver
Her: so even if I want to drink I can't.
Me: haha that sucks.
Me: I still haven't learned to drive.
Her: probably what I'm doing tonight as well.
Me: at 25!!!! I know!!
Her: Neither has my cousin, and he's around your age
Her: I often yell at him about it though.
Me: ah cool, Idont feel such a fool now!
Me: yeah my parents are always telling me to learn.
Me: but Ihave no need for it!
Me: i live in a city; I never *go*anywhere!
Her: I mean, I could have got my liscence at 17 but was lazy and waited a year, but I still go it!
Me: haha true.
Me: and Ido see the plus points of having a license.
Her: well, I live on long island, but will be going to uni in the city
Her: so I'm probably selling my car
Me: ah cool
Her: in a few months anyway
Me: yeah, not much need for it there i suppose.
Her: I won't need a car in the city.
Her: mh
Her: mhm*
Me: I started learning when Iwas 17 so Ican actually *physically* drive....
Me: ....just not legally!
Her: ah.
Her: can't you just take the test!?
Me: well you can but you have to do this whole written exam first.....
Her: new yorkers don't have to =P
Her: we take a 20 question permit test but thats easy.
Me: and it comes bundled with this stupid video computer thing now that Ican't seem to get my head around
Her: it's a bubble in.
Me: haha
Me: a bubble in?!
Her: mhm
Her: well that you can take at 16
Me: .......ok...........
Her: it's just like a test to see if you can drive period.
Me: oh right.
Her: "what do you do at a stop sign" kind of thing lol
Me: yeah.
Me: (Go, right?)
Her: but to get your liscence I just had to drive.. parralel park, and three point turn;
Me: I do good?
Her: F
Me: wow, that sounds easy!
Her: it is
Me: maybe Ishould get on that....
Her: haha
Her: well in wales you drive on the other side right?
Her: or is it just england?
Me: yeah, in all of the UK
Her: ooh.
Me: lol
Her: My friend emmah has a liscence for both
Me: yeah in wales we drive on the left, but in England it's on the right...
Me: thats why there's so many crashes at the border.
Her: lol
Me: it's horrific really.
Her: That's scary
Me: they should change it.
Me: I may be kidding...
Her: I heard the roads are overall better there than here though
Me: yeah maybe, well you guys dont have roundabouts!
Her: ?
Me: you know, roundabouts?
Her: I probably would if you explained it
Me: ok so....
Me: let's say you have a crossroads
Her: okay
Me: so instead of traffic lights, they just put a sort of 'hump' in the road, right in the middle
Me: and drivers drive around it..........
Her: oh jesus. we always basically have a traffic light there
Me: i dont really know how to explain it without it sounding like a totally retarded British invention
Me: it sounds ludicrous when Isay it out loud!
Her: well sometimes we could be at an intersection... and the light will turn green and someone can make a left from the opposite side as the other person is going straight
Her: which can cause a collision
Me: yeah, and you can turn left right on a red too, can't you?
Me: or right on a red?
Her: noooo
Her: right on red
Her: lol
Me: thats it
Her: left on red
Her: would be horrendous
Me: left on red = dead
Me: nice little rhyme to help you remember
Her: yeah and it rhymes
Her: lol
Her: yup
Me: we can't do anything on a red.
Me: except sit
Her: lol
Me: and get our windows washed by some hobo.
Her: haha
Her: we do sometimes too
Her: but not as much anymore
Her: when I was younger
Her: there were more window washers
Me: whatever happened to them
Her: idk
Her: less there too
Her: ?
Me: more convertibles I guess....
Her: lol
Her: my car is as old as me
Me: My dad once tried to pick one of the guys up and take him home to clean our house!
Me: or the windows at least
Her: I would never! haha
Me: Mam freaked out and drove off
Her: I'd be afraid of them getting in and killing me
Me: yeah
Her: it's not the 70s anymore haha
Me: haha
Me: too bad!
Her: yeah
Me: did you ever see 'That 70s Show'?
Her: I would have loved to live in the late 60s, early 70s
Her: of course
Me: thats another one of my guilty pleasures!
Her: tommy cong was on it =P
Me: hahah oh yeah
Her: it's a good show haha
Me: of cheech and....
Her: chong
Her: yeah
Me: yeah I've watched them all now
Her: lol
Me: it does make me wish I was alive back then.
Me: especially in 70s America.
Her: I really don;t watch too many tv shows. I watch so many movies
Me: a LOTwent on.
Her: I have netflix so
Her: all I do is watch movies
Me: ah cool!
Her: even tonight when I go out I'm probably putting on a movie at my friends house lol
Me: haha cool
Me: seen anything good recently?
Her: I saw boy in the striped pajamas yesterday
Her: it was sad and disturbing.
Me: Ah I wanted to see that
Me: yeah I expected!
Her: it's terrible, yeah
Her: and I've been watching french films
Her: and want to get into ingmar bergman.
Me: ah! classic stuff.
Her: Yeah I like classic stuff :x
Me: i've always been partial to a bit of Spielberg myself...
Her: well though he's mainstream he still has good film.
Me: yeah, totally; kids in school used to call me 'Dawson' coz I was always going on about Jaws and E.T. :-D
Her: I have no beefs with speilberg
Me: lol
Her: haha
Her: I loved ET until I had a nightmare about it
Me: uh oh!
Her: he was like on a surgery table and yeah
Her: it was graphic
Me: haha
Her: I never wanted to watch et again
Her: lol
Me: 'the deleted scenes' eh??
Her: yeah the ones in my head haha
Me: did you hear they edited the end of the movie for the re-release?
Her: Did you ever see eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?
Her: no.../
Me: they replaced ther guards' guns with walkie talkies!!
Me: what a rip!!
Her: was he supposed to die or something?
Her: oh...
Her: gay.
Me: Iknow
Me: it's the whole star wars thing all over again
Me: some directors dont know when to stop....
Me: yeah Ilove eternal sunshine.  Gondry is one of my fave directors
Her: what did they edit in star wars?
Her: yeah
Her: that's my favorite film
Me: everything!! almost!
Me: cool
Her: gondry is amazing.
Her: really? like what?
Her: there were still guns in star wars
Me: haha yeah
Me: well they changed some stuff..
Me: yeah, it really made me want to visit....montague?
Me: is it Montauge?
Her: I don't know how it's spelled
Her: oh
Her: wait
Her: hahaha
Her: montauk
Her: hahahaha
Me: it's up there somewhere!!
Me: that's near you, right?
Her: I was just there
Her: hahahaha
Me: haha
Her: like two days ago
Her: you spelled it so different
Me: good work remembering!!
Her: I was like
Me: hahah yeah
Her: "mon...ta ...hue?"
Her: montauk is nice.
Me: yeah Ilove the part where they go up into that beachhouse and then it all starts like falling apart
Me: as he forgets her
Her: yeah
Me: or she forgets him
Her: it makes me cry
Me: or whichever
Me: yeah.  it's such a great story tho.
Her: yeah
Me: did you see Be Kind Rewind?
Her: I like sad endings
Her: I think they're more realistic
Me: haha yeah.
Her: Yeah, I saw it in theatres
Her: I liked it less than his other films.
Her: I liked science of sleep a lot.
Me: yeah, but Istill laughed
Her: yeah it was entertaining, not as good, but still better than most films
Her: lol
Me: oh yeah!!we had that in for like one week!
Her: gondry is so creative.
Me: that was great.
Her: only a week?
Her: it was so good.
Me: yeah, small cinema.
Her: I loved how it kept changing up from english, to french, to spanish
Me: but it kinda almost ripped off a screenplay I was ewriting at the time
Her: lol awe.
Me: about a guy who goes thru a bad breakup and tries to learn to 'lucid dream'
Her: I'm sure he didn't mean to, hahaha
Me: haha, that Gondry bastard.....
Her: lol
Me: I have a cool deal at my local cinema;
Me: it's like this card thing, you sign up and for like £13 a month you can go see as many films as you want!!
Her: oh man
Her: they don't have that around here
Me: which is bad when there's nothing good out, but it means you can see like 5 films a day!!
Me: it's such a great deal.
Her: so lucky.
Me: I'm in there like 3 days a week!
Her: it's like $12 for one film here
Her: I don't see many films in theatres for that reason.
Me: Iused to work in the cinema before Iworked in my current job, so Istill get to go chat to all the old guys.
Her: I saw avatar though.
Me: oh right
Me: what did you think?
Her: it was better than I expected it to be.
Me: yeah, me too.
Me: i love sci-fi, but dont usually go in for all that fantasy stuff...
Her: It was good. a lot of people said the storyline was bad and I'm very critical... but I still liked it
Me: but I though Cameron really pulled it off.
Her: I was a little unimpressed by the 3D... I felt like not a lot came out at me
Me: yeah well it was basically Dances With Smurfs.....
Her: hahaha my friend calls it that too
Me: haha strange!!
Her: is that because of south park?
Me: haha yeah, well 3Dseems to be changing; in the early days when you'd see 3Dfilms at like big theme parks etc, it was all about the 'wow' facotr
Me: *factor
Me: stuff coming out of the screen etc...
Her: yeah I guess I was hoping for the wow factor.
Her: yeah!
Her: thats what I wanted.
Me: but now it's kinda like.....just a second aspect to a movie.
Me: it certainly gives the scenes some depth.....
Her: yeah, I don't think it's realy needed.
Me: yeah, not in every film...
Me: a whole load of kids films are getting it now...
Her: but what I really liked about avatar was I felt it did what cinema was meant to do; take you away from reality and get your mind off real life
Me: we went to watch the 3D Toy Story re-iterations.
Her: cinema is so important for that factor and I feel like not enough film today achieves that feeling.
Her: but avatar did to me
Me: yeah, it did that well
Me: the last film I saw that did that......
Me: was.....
Me: I think it must have been something like Where The Wild Things Are
Me: which I loved
Her: oh
Her: I wanted to see that
Her: I never did =(
Her: when it's on netflix I will
Me: it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, but it was really thematic and 'fantasy' like....
Her: well I did love the book as a child and the previews made it seem epic
Me: yeah...
Me: the book was never that big over here, so nobody really knew anything about it
Me: which was probably a good thing....
Her: ah, I owned it
Her: lol I almost sneezed on camera hahaha
Me: haha
Me: gezundheit!
Her: thankyou
Me: did you see 'Fantastic Mr Fox'??????
Her: nope
Me: dude.
Her: was that any good/.
Me: seriosuly.
Me: best film of last year!!!!
Me: for me....
Her: actually, either I missed out on its opening
Her: or It didnt come out
Me: Wes Anderson is one of my alltime favourite directors
Her: yes
Her: I love wes anderson
Me: and to see him take on this movie, which is supposed to be for kids, was just amazing.
Her: everything from rushmore to life aquatic
Me: yeah!!
Me: I've still to see Bottle Rocket
Her: it's good
Me: i think thats his first...
Me: is it?
Her: it is
Her: mhm'
Her: not as good as rushmore, which I thought was his first .. at first, haha.
Me: yeah, I LOVE the life aquatic.
Me: and tenenbaums
Her: of course
Her: tenebaums is usually everyones first
Me: and The Life Aquatic probably my favourite film soundtrack of all time!!
Her: I have to go!
Her: I have to leave in like 15min haha
Me: oh cool, well it's been cool talking!
Me: and surreal!!
Her: yes, nice talking to you too
Her: of course haha
Me: cool, have a good night!
Her: you too!
Me: bye.
> Your partner disconnected. Press "Next" to find a new person!


.....and the cycle repeats....

0 comments:

Post a Comment